Exploring Another Piece of the Puzzle: Comorbid Mental Health Challenges in Children with Autism Spectrum Disorder
Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is characterized by impairments in social communication and restricted, repetitive behavioural patterns.1 In the United States, the prevalence of ASD is estimated to be 1 in 68 children.2 As children with ASD enter adolescence, they face difficulties brought on not only by the core functional impairments of their primary disorder but also by common psychiatric comorbidities, such as depression and anxiety. The prevalence estimates of these comorbidities vary widely, which may be explained by differences in assessment tools used between epidemiological studies. In this review, the most commonly used assessment tools for comorbidities among youth with ASD are presented. Out of the five tools identified, no tools had been specifically evaluated to measure anxiety among ASD youth, while only two tools had been evaluated to measure depression in this population. Across tools, there were numerous issues regarding psychometric properties, as well as differences in informants, leading to limitations when using these tools to measure comorbid psychiatric concerns in youth with ASD. Future research should aim to design better assessment tools to strengthen the quality of research in this field and better inform resource allocation and clinical practice.
2. Autism Speaks Canada: Facts and Stats [In- ternet]. Autism Speaks Canada; 2014 Mar [cited 2016 Jan 31]. Available from: http:// www.autismservicesinc.com/pdf/Autism%20 Speaks%20Canada%20Updated%20Facts%20 and%20Stats.pdf
3. Simonoff, E., Pickles, A., Charman, T., Chandler, S., Loucas, T., & Baird, G. (2008). Psychiatric Disor- ders in Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders: Prevalence, Comorbidity, and Associated Factors in a Population-Derived Sample. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychi- atry, 47(8), 921–929. http://doi.org/10.1097/ CHI.0b013e318179964f
4. Kim, J. A., Szatmari, P., Bryson, S. E., Streiner, D. L., & Wilson, F. J. (2000). The Preva- lence of Anxiety and Mood Problems among Children with Autism and Asperger Syn- drome. Autism, 4(2), 117–132. http://doi. org/10.1177/1362361300004002002
5. Van Steensel, F. J. A., Bögels, S. M., & Perrin, S. (2011). Anxiety Disorders in Children and Adoles- cents with Autistic Spectrum Disorders: A Meta- Analysis. Clinical Child and Family Psychology Re- view, 14(3), 302–317. http://doi.org/10.1007/ s10567-011-0097-0
6. Mazefsky, C. A., Oswald, D. P., Day, T. N., Eack, S. M., Minshew, N. J., & Lainhart, J. E. (2012). ASD, a psychiatric disorder, or both? Psychiatric diag- noses in adolescents with high-functioning ASD. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychol- ogy: The Official Journal for the Society of Clini- cal Child and Adolescent Psychology, American Psychological Association, Division 53, 41(4), 516–523. http://doi.org/10.1080/15374416 .2012.686102
7. Wood JJ, Piacentini JC, Bergman RL, et al. (2002) Concurrent validity of the anxiety disor- ders section of the anxiety disorders interview schedule for DSM-IV: child and parent versions. Journal of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychol- ogy 31(3): 335–342
8. Grondhuis S, Aman M. Assessment of anxiety in children and adolescents with autism spectrum disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disor- ders. 2012;6(4):1345-1365.
9. Maruish, M. E. (2014). The Use of Psychological Testing for Treatment Planning and Outcomes As- sessment: Volume 2: Instruments for Children and Adolescents. Routledge.
10. Achenbach, T.M., & Rescorla, L.A. (2000a). Man- ual for the ASEBA Preschool forms and Profiles. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont Department of Psychiatry. ISBN 0-938565-68-0
11. Achenbach, T.M., & Rescorla, L. A. (2001). Manual for the ASEBA School-Age Forms and Profiles. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Research Center for Children, Youth, and Families. ISBN 0-938565-73-7
12. Matson J, Wilkins J. Reliability of the Autism Spec- trum Disorders-Comorbid for Children (ASD-CC). Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabili- ties. 2008;20(4):327-336.
13. Rieske R, Matson J, May A, Kozlowski A. Anxiety in Children with High-Functioning Autism Spec- trum Disorders: Significant Differences and the Moderating Effects of Social Impairments. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities. 2011;24(2):167-180.
14. Silverman, W. K., Saavedra, L. M., & Pina, A. A. 2001. Test–retest reliability of anxiety symptoms and diagnoses with the anxiety disorders inter- view schedule for DSM-IV: Child and parent versions. Journal of American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 40, 937–943.
15. Leyfer, O. T., Folstein, S. E., Bacalman, S., Davis, N. O., Dinh, E., Morgan, J., ... Lainhart, J. E. (2006). Comorbid psychiatric disorders in children with autism: interview development and rates of disor- ders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disor- ders, 36(7), 849–861. http://doi.org/10.1007/ s10803-006-0123-0
16. MacNeil BM, Lopes VA, Minnes PM. Anxiety in children and adolescents with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders.
17. McConachie H, McLaughlin E, Grahame V, Taylor H, Honey E, Tavernor L, et al. Group therapy for anxiety in children with autism spectrum disorder. Autism. 2013 Oct 7;1362361313488839.
18. Brady DI, Saklofske DH, Schwean VL, Montgomery JM, McCrimmon AW, Thorne KJ. Cognitive and emotional intelligence in young adults with Autism Spectrum Disorder without an accompanying intel- lectual or language disorder. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 2014 Sep;8(9):1016–23.
19. Blankenship K, Minshawi NF. Behavioral Therapywith an Individual with Asperger’s Disorder. Psy- chiatry (Edgmont). 2010 Aug;7(8):38–41.
20. Chuck Edgington. Emotional Regulation and Anxi- ety Management in Autism [Internet]. Autism Toolkit Series: Life 1st!; 2010 Sep 7 [cited 2016 Jan 31]; Oklahoma Autism Network. Available from: http:// www.okautism.org/documents/emotionalregula- tionanxietymanagementpresentation.pdf
21. Feelings Thermometer [Internet]. [cited 2016 Jan 31]. Available from: https://s-media- cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f7/d1/57/f7d- 1577b9b7338912c8af140af9c2600.jpg