Conflicting Agendas In Care For Olympic Amateur Boxing
Boxers face a wide variety of health risks: strenuous movements, harsh training regimens, rapid dehydration, and repeated blows to the head and body. In this global perspective, I elaborate on my role in the boxing community as part of the medical team, reflect on the barriers to care, and present future directions.
2. Poliakoff M. Combat sports in the ancient world: competition, violence, and culture. London: Yale University Press; 1987
3. WORLD BOXING ORGANIZATION. REGULATIONS OF WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP CONTESTS. Panama City: WORLD BOXING ORGANIZATION; 2011. Available from: http://www.wboboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/130828-WBO-Regulations-of-World-Championship-Contests.pdf
4. WORLD BOXING COUNCIL. RULES & REGULATIONS OF THE WORLD BOXING COUNCIL (“WBC”). Mexico City: WORLD BOXING COUNCIL; 2014. Available from: http://wbcboxing.com/wbceng/Rules/WBCRulesandRegulationsJanuary2014.pdf
5. WORLD BOXING ASSOCIATION. RULES OF WORLD BOXING ASSOCIATION. Panama City: WORLD BOXING ASSOCIATION; 2013. Available from: http://www.wbaboxing.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/WBA_Rules_adopted_in_Panama_8-8-13.pdf
6. Jako P. Safety measures in amateur boxing. British Journal of Sports Medicine. 2002;36(6):394-395.
7. Jordan B, Voy R, Stone J. Amateur Boxing Injuries at the US Olympic Training Center. The Physician and Sports medicine. 1990;18(2):80-90.
8. Franchini E, Brito C, Artioli G. Weight loss in combat sports: physiological, psychological and performance effects. J IntSoc Sports Nutr. 2012;9(1):52.
9. McGee S. Is This Patient Hypovolemic?. JAMA. 1999;281(11):1022.
10. Dickson J, Weavers H, Mitchell N, Winter E, Wilkinson I, Van Beek E et al. The Effects of Dehydration on Brain Volume - Preliminary Results. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 2005;26(6):481-485.
11. Consensus Statement on Concussion in Sport, 4th International Conference on Concussion in Sport, Held in Zurich, November 2012: Erratum. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine. 2012;47(1)250-258. Available from: http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/bjsports/47/5/259.full.pdf
12. Diep D, Trinh K. Making Weight in Boxing: How to do it Better. Montreal: Boxing Canada; 2016. Available from: http://boxingcanada.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/10/Making-Weight-in-Boxing.pdf